- Do you make life choices based on the opinions & expectations of others?
- Do you let media manipulate how you feel about your beauty, intelligence & worth?
- Do you let other people tell you how you should feel or heal during painful experiences like divorce?
- Do you constantly compromise your own wants, needs & desires in order to satisfy someone else's?
- Do you sacrifice your authenticity at the expense of your own happiness or fulfillment?
Confession: I'm a people-pleaser by nature. Grrr, and it drives me crazy! But thanks to age and an unwanted accumulation of less than fulfilling periods in my life, I've finally learned that not 'being me' is far too big of a sacrifice to make. Life is too short and too (potentially) exciting for that. So I'm a work-in-progress, constantly daring myself to listen to my gut and trust my choices instead of getting all of life's answers from outside sources. I'm constantly trying to develop my inner-confidence rather than waiting for (or begging for) others to validate me. And, I'm finally clear about what I want, need and desire in life and love so, while I'm open to other options, I'm make it a practice of being true to myself. But most importantly, I've learned not to sacrifice my own integrity or authenticity for the sake of others.
In fact, it's the people who celebrate and support the true me that I want to surround myself with.
Indie Girl Diary: writing prompt
Being a people-pleaser or comparing myself to others has compromised my happiness by...